Bernhard Langer "Play Well You Can Play Any Golf Course.Play Bad You Can’t Play Any Golf Course"

Posted by

Bernhard Langer Golf Tips (Golf Master Tips) - As golfing manuals go, the Bible ranks considerably behind “Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf,” at least in the opinion of anyone who ever struck a small, white ball with the intention of finding it and hitting it again.

But seven years ago, Bernhard Langer learned the words found in Ecclesiastes Chapter 3, Verse 1 were the soundest advice he could seek at that turning point of his golfing life.

Play Well You Can Play Any Golf Course.Play Bad You Can’t Play Any Golf Course

“To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven,” it is written, and so it has been for Langer, who has dominated the Champions Tour since he arrived in late 2007, topping the money list six of the past seven years. This week he has come to Belmont Country Club to defend the Senior Players Championship he won a year ago.

The first man to be ranked World No. 1 when those ratings began in 1986, Langer twice won the Masters, captured 42 European Tour and three PGA Tour titles and is one of only four golfers in history to have won tournaments on all six continents where golf is played. Although Martin Kaymer may eventually have something to say about it, Langer is the greatest German golfer in history and his Champions Tour years have only enhanced that position.

Yet when it first began, Langer came into this phase of his career unsure of what it would bring or even if he wanted to be here.

“I came out here thinking this could be bittersweet in a sense that I’m leaving the PGA Tour and the European Tour,” Langer said yesterday. “I just remember Gary Player telling me when I was 48, 49 and he would still play a couple (events) on the regular tour here and there, ‘Oh, we would beat your butt out on that Champions Tour. We’ve got some of the best players in the world.’ I was just kind of grinning at him. I didn’t really know what to expect. But it only took two or three weeks and I fell in love with this tour. So many positive things are happening out here and I’d done the other thing long enough. I’m very, very happy to play the rest of my life on this tour. There’s nothing better than that.”

There hasn’t been much better than Langer on Champions Tour the past 71⁄2 years, that’s for sure. He’s won 23 times and finished top three 54 times in 156 outings, meaning more than one-third of the time he’s finished top three. Converting that into what professional golf is really about, he’s earned $16,064,006 since joining the senior circuit.

Famous for having wrestled with the putting yips for much of his career and with a bad back since he was injured as a 19-year-old serving in the German Air Force, Langer has overcome those maladies, as well as the vagaries of a life dedicated not always in equal parts to golf and God.

Some 30 years ago, Langer, already a PGA star but one looking for something more in life, accepted the invitation of a touring pro named Bobby Clampett to attend a Wednesday night Bible study. He was 28, and his priorities in life started with golf and went from there.

That night didn’t change his life immediately, but slowly it did until he became a born-again Christian, a life change he believes helped him get through the most difficult moment of his golfing career.

In 1991, Langer needed to hole a 6-foot putt to win the Ryder Cup for Europe. It was the last putt on the last hole of the last match. If he made it, he won a point to halve the match, meaning the defending champion Europeans retained the Cup.

A week later, still wondering why that should happen to him, he stood over a 15-foot putt to send the German Masters into a playoff. He made it, won the tournament and went on to top golf’s money list that year.

Now Langer finds himself not on the back nine of his golfing life but rather in a world of new opportunities, facing the challenges of old friends while keeping intact the joy he first found on a golf course when he left home for Munich, alone at the age of 15, to try and make his way through the world with only a golf bag on his shoulder.

“When I set out as a golf pro, I had no idea where this would take me and that I would be playing professional golf at 57,” Langer said. “That was not in the stars, not really what I was thinking about or dreaming about because I really had no clue what to expect and how long this might take me or how far this would take me.

“I had a severe back injury when I was 19. . . . I didn’t think I would be playing golf at that point and here I am 40 years later without back surgery and still playing at a high level of professional golf week after week. Things have taken an amazing turn for the better for me.”


Without a win this season despite five top 10 finishes, Bernhard Langer hopes they’ll take another turn in that direction beginning today. Yet, as he learned years ago, there is a season for every purpose in golf.

“If I play well, I can play any golf course and if I play bad, I can’t play any golf course,” he joked. “If you hit it where you’re looking and you make putts, you can play well anywhere. It’s as simple as that.” Simple, yes, but never easy. (Pro Golf TIps article source and author: Ron Borges / Boston Herald)




FOLLOW and JOIN to Get Update!

Social Media Widget SM Widgets




Demo Blog NJW V2 Updated at: 9:08 AM

0 komentar:

Post a Comment